Sunday, July 1, 2007

Making a First Impression

Ahhhh—Jenny Caan! She was the prettiest girl in high school and all the guys wanted to go out with her! It took a lot of building up the courage to even talk with her, let alone ask her out on a date. But one day I finally got enough nerve and asked her out and she actually said, “YES”! Was I dreaming? A date with Jenny Caan was like the highlight of life! This couldn’t be any ordinary date. It had to be one for the annals of history!

I planned a special dinner—very romantic and high quality. After dinner, we went for a walk at the park as this was a great time to talk and share who we were. Things were going great! We were laughing and having a good time until we left the park and started walking in the parking lot to my car. I decided to pick her up in my arms and carry her (to show her how well conditioned I was), and even began running with her. (Can you see the doom rising on the horizon?) One small misstep later and what was an evening to never forget (positively) became an evening to never forget (unfortunately, not so positively). (Can anyone here say “road rash”?) Needless to say, it was a short relationship that Jenny and I shared. My 1st impression on a date was not so favorable!

Why do thoughts like this even come into my mind as I prepare to preach my first sermon here with the family at Garden Ridge? Let’s just say that I am hoping not to crash and burn like that poor date experience. How many opportunities does a person get to make a first impression?
It is my prayer that this will be the beginning of a beautiful relationship together as we strive to sharpen one another in our faith walks with the Lord! I pray we will build a bond of trust and fellowship with one another that allows each of us to truly be ourselves and not feel we have to posture with each other so we feel accepted or special or more than what we are.

Our Lord loves us for who we are, but wants to change us to become all He has created us to be. This is not done through casual acquaintance or fancy dates that are meant to impress, but through committed love. It is my promise to you, beginning with the sermon this morning and down through the years to come, to speak the truth of God in love as best as I understand how it fits with His nature and will along with our circumstances so that we will be better equipped to handle the pressures and trials of this life, even if they are as intimidating as one Jenny Caan.

Click to Listen to the sermon, What Did We Hire Him For?

No comments: